Re: New "Goals" (use-cases) - Is your use-case there, accurately described?

On 9 Dec 2011, at 16:36, David Dahl wrote:

> TLS provides for transport security, this API is about fully client-based crypto. We are seeing commercially available SSL MitM devices available for sale, and CAs are being broken into on a monthly (it seems) basis, with revelations of certificates being issued to unknown entities that allow these thieves to masquerade as Google.com and other domains.

You should look at the work of the DANE IETF working group
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dane/
They are showing how one can use DNSsec to store the public keys, and so seriously increase the reliability of CAs, as well as allow people
to not use CAs as well. Since DNS really needs to be secured I don't doubt that this is going to have happened before this working group is done.

> Also, unless I am missing something, TLS does not allow you to prevent the server/third parties from capturing plain-text content.

True. In a p2p world we should be communicating directly with our peers.

> Properly used - and it is being designed to make it hard to use it wrong, this API will has the potential to help a developer build more secure messaging tools.

Agree.

> Many "secure" messaging tools are being built right now in an insecure manner. Web devs are rolling their own crypto and using libraries that expose key material to content JS - not to mention the slow performance issues. Web devs are already way ahead of browser makers here, to the detriment of endusers. We are playing catch-up, and we have the ability to safely expose proven crypto to the DOM.

But that does not mean that you could not get the API to work with X509 Certificates and X509 public/private keys, right? The point is that that is a cheap way of making oneself a lot of friends, and widening the interoperability space. If people are using X509 Certs then it would be useful if they could also interoperate with the API.

Henry

> Cheers,
>
> David

Social Web Architect