Re: Crypto HW Requirements (why it is out of scope)

Hi Mitch,

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-identity/2011Nov/0114.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-identity/2011Nov/0060.html

>> W3C needs to move on to more fruitful areas like non-controversial
>> *domain-restricted* cryptographic JS APIs with [IMO] fairly limited use-cases
>> and leave "the real stuff" to the vendors and Darwin (the market) to sort out.
>
> We're ok with this. If we were to get simplistic about this (The devil
> is in the details, I know.) then what we're really looking for is
> something like this (please excuse Java-like syntax; I'm not a JS coder):
>
> --- BEGIN EXAMPLE CODE ---
> // get a unique ID for current domain
> String id = getUniqueID();
> // get a handle to our Netflix session key if such exists
> KeyHandle kh = getKeyHandle("NetflixSession");
> if(kh == null) {
>      // we need to "register" to netflix.com
>
>      // look for a pre-shared key
>      kh = getKeyHandle("NetflixPreShared");
>      if(kh == null) {
>          // we're running on a generic browser, create a key
>          kh = generateKey();
>          if(kh == null) {
>              error();
>          }
>          // we will register below using our generated key
>      }
>      // register to "netflix.com" using our key
>      // register() returns a KeyHandle to our new session key
>      KeyHandle session_kh = register(kh);
>      if(session_kh == null) {
>          error();
>      }
>      // if success, use the new session key instead
>      // of pre-shared or generated key.
>      kh = session_kh;
> }
> // create an arbitrary message
> String msg = "Hello, Netflix!";
> // create an HMAC to authenticate msg
> String hmac = kh.hmac(msg);
> // send authenticated msg to netflix.com
> sendMsg(msg, hmac, "netflix.com");
> --- END EXAMPLE CODE ---

This is an example of code that should work flawlessly in a domain-restricted
context but fail miserably outside of it (you cannot ask for keys from
untrusted JS to an open keystore without adding a selection GUI like in TLS).

The subject line is of course a little big orthogonal here since nothing
prevents a domain-constrained keystore to be cast in HW but I was really
thinking about the more conventional uses of crypto HW like PIV and eID.
And the Wallet...

> Is the key naming shown above palatable? This would allow us to operate
> on a generic browser and on an embedded platform in almost the same way.
> The generic named "KeyHandle" (in reality, we might want to have a
> CipherContext for symmetric encryption keys, an HMACContext for HMAC
> keys, etc.) allows this to work in the above contrived example.

Looks ok to me given that there is a domain-dimension involved as well.

Anders