Re: WebID and HTTPS Client Certificate Authentication

On 07/08/11 23:43, Henry Story wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2011, at 21:47, Dave Raggett wrote:
>
>> I plan to work on extending webkit and Mozilla to support this, as working code is always more compelling than just talk. However, to realize the trust models we need to discuss what is needed to support a culture of credentials that match up to real world requirements.
> what are you planning to do there?

The work on privacy friendly strong authentication and plans for further
work are described in

http://www.w3.org/2011/D1.2.3/#anonymous_credentials

The bigger challenge is to broaden the discussion for what is needed for
online trust models.  To counter phishing, we need a means for the
browser to verify that this website is the same as the one you set up
your account with. That isn't too demanding, e.g. the browser could
check that the site's public key is the same*.  Establishing trust in
the first place is harder, and currently relies on faith in DNS in
conjunction the bank's domain name passed to you via the letters the
bank sent you in the post.  In other circumstances, we need a way to
establish trust online, and the current CA system doesn't suffice.  This
is where we need further debate about the possibilities, and an analysis
about the various approaches that have already been tried.  This is less
about technology and more about society.

* we also need to break free of the current user id/password mess, but I
didn't want to go into that here.

--
  Dave Raggett<dsr@w3.org>  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett