Re: Neutral language in W3C specifications

On 23/07/2020 10:09, Florian Rivoal wrote:
[...]

> I agree In the vast majority of the cases, they/them is the way to go, and we should encourage that practice (which I believe to be already widespread in W3C specs).
>
> I just ran a grep for "his" or "her" on a few specs I work on, and most hits were in the acknowledgement section. For instance "Special thanks goes [...] Melanie Richards for her illustrations of the various alignment keywords." in https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and using "their" in such cases wouldn't be right. Some people might be OK with it, but others would feel misgendered.
>
> So, if PubRules or Bikeshed and Respec are made to warn about uses of gendered pronouns, it would be good to have a way to mark some uses as deliberate, for cases like that.

I don't know enough about how PubRules works to know if a way to
deliberately markup exceptions would be possible, but we could ask.

In the meantime, the guidance offered when the use of a gender specific
pronoun is found could perhaps be something like:

Use they/them instead of gendered pronouns like she/her and he/him,
unless the preferred gender identity of the person is known.

These may not be the best words, but hopefully you get the idea.
Léonie.--
Director @TetraLogical
https://tetralogical.com