Notes from the meeting - Re: Agenda for the ID CG meeting

> On 14 Jul 2020, at 17:44 , Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com> wrote:
> […]
>
> Day: Thursday 16 July 2020    Time: 3PM UTC (Please convert to your local time)
>
> 1. Meeting during virtual TPAC.
>
> Do we want to have a virtual TPAC meeting, and would we like to make it a joint meeting with the Positive Work Environment (PWE) WG?
>
> 2. Results of the vote about the statement.
>
> The results of the vote and, if the decision is to send it to the AC, our next steps.
>
> 3. Progress on action issues:
> https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/

The minutes from today’s meeting are available:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/07/16-idcg-minutes.html

Text version:
=============
                          ID CG wekly meeting

   [2]IRC log.
      [2] https://www.w3.org/2020/07/16-idcg-irc

Attendees
   Present
          amy, annette, Barb, chaals, Coralie, cwilso, Dan
          Appelquist, jeff__, Joey, Judy, marisa, melanierichards,
          Tzviya, wseltzer
   Regrets
          Emmanuelle, Leonie
   Chair
          Coralie
   Scribe
          chaals, jeff__, koalie

Contents
    1. [3]Meeting during virtual TPAC
         1. [4]joint meeting with PWE CG
    2. [5]Results of the vote about the statement
    3. [6]Progress on action issues

Meeting minutes

   koalie: [introduces agenda]

   [No additions proposed]

  Meeting during virtual TPAC

   koalie: TPAC is virtual this year. Do we have enough material
   to want to organise a meeting, and should we try to join that
   with Positive Work Environment CG?

   <dka_> +1 to having a meeting

   Jeff: Physical TPAC helps re-energise community. It is harder
   in a virtual meeting but I think there is value in holding a
   meeting to remind people that we need more involvement to get
   more work done. So rather than a meeting it should be about
   getting people to show up and re-commit.

   <amy> +1 to having a meeting

   Judy: Few ways to take advantage of TPAC. I like the idea of
   getting the word out more. We can do planning maybe in
   conjunction with PWE CG, or a larger get-together for people
   who want to check out the topic and learn more...
   … not fussed how it turns out exactly, maybe multiple would be
   good.

   Tzviya: I think it is an opportunity for outreach, a lot of
   people are not aware of what we are doing. Would like to have
   joint meeting with PWE CG. We get large turnouts and people
   talk about concerns, wil be reassuring fopr people to hear we
   are doing something.

   <Zakim> chaals, you wanted to oppose meeting.

   Chaals: I oppose a meeting
   … telling people we are doing something is useful
   … Tzviya's point is a good point
   … but virtual meetings have more pressure on time
   … physical meetings can negotiate time better
   … more inclusive
   … competing harder with what TPAC is for
   … x-group meetings
   … in a sense inclusion and diversity is x-group
   … so it fits
   … it is important
   … nervous about getting people's time.
   … if people can't do work because they are busy that's a
   problem too

   Dan: Support having something, maybe we can do something more
   than just engage with existing W3C community, and use this to
   bring in a wider group to talk about how W3C can be more
   welcoming to participation from people we don't normally
   have.at the event.
   … reiterating what we are doing here is not so interesting
   compared to hearing from new voices.

   koalie: Chaals would you be more comfortable if we went in
   Dan's proposed direction or organising a breakout instead?

   chaals: yes and yes

    joint meeting with PWE CG

   koalie: Tzviya, Judy expressed some support for joint meeting.
   Should we find time to do that?

   <BarbH> +1

   <amy> +1 to a joint meeting because the topics/areas overlap

   Tzviya: That would be great.

   <dka_> +1 to a joint meeting

   <chaals> +1 to joint meeting if we are meeting.

   <koalie> +1

   <annette_g> +1, amount of time depending on need

   <wendyreid> +1

   JB: +1 (put an IRC comment elsewhere…)

   koalie: Anything else on this topic?

  Results of the vote about the statement

   <koalie> [7]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/internal-idcg/
   2020Jul/0080.html

      [7] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/internal-idcg/2020Jul/0080.html

   koalie: Tallied numbers, the revised statement proposal
   referred above has all support and no objection, seems like we
   have a statement.

   koalie: W3M thinks that statement is worth supporting in this
   forum, was going to advise W3C AB about this.
   … we aim to put this in front of AC for review, and if there is
   support we would make the statement formally on behalf of W3C.

   <Zakim> jeff__, you wanted to update on the AB discussion

   Jeff: Update to the AB took place, the AB was quietly
   supportive, and have also suggested that AC review time should
   revert to 4 weeks now from the temporary 6 weeks we had been
   using.

   koalie: We have a statement, next step is to start a review
   that we can do on Monday, so then 4 weeks and we can assess the
   results of that review and W3C will report on that here then.

   Jeff: There has now been a post on IDCG who characterised the
   statement as paternalistic. This came in after review period,
   but it would be prudent for a chair to respond.

   WendyReid: I think the criticism from Emmanuelle is fair, and
   will be repeated. Maybe something we need to include is to
   express the intention that we want to respond to today's
   issues, keeping an eye on our activity. to make sure we are
   supportive of a community that right now we think is looking
   for statements of support.

   <amy> I would caution to use some words like "minorities" for
   complex reasons. I know mostly it's understood in a positive
   way but it can be co-opted by some bad faith actors too

   Dan: The paragraph Emanuelle suggested we delete is a key
   paragraph and do not support deleting it.

   <amy> +1 to dan's point (I do not support deleting this
   paragraph)

   <wendyreid> +1 to Dan

   <wseltzer> [I support sending the statement for review as-is]

   <wseltzer> [including the key sentence]

   Judy: Agree with Dan that I wouldn't want to remove the
   paragraph, but wonder, if Wendy thinks we will get more
   comments along the same lines, whether there is a way we can
   resolve it without doing a lot of wordsmithing here.

   <koalie> +1 to Dan

   WendyR: Think the response veers into the "but all lives
   matters" responses that we should expect to get.
   … We are not targeting a particular group to the exclusion of
   others - colourblindness is not enough, as WendyS says. But we
   will get more of this.

   Marisa: Don't think we need to take on a response to things
   that feel like " but all lives matter"… The goal here is to
   make a timely statement in response to a partiucular question
   (DO black lives matter? Yes), not a specific privileging of one
   group over all others

   <amy> it's a great point, and maybe a response to Emmanuellle,
   that this is about a specific time/context not a general
   manifesto

   koalie: Yes we need to explain that

   Tzviya: we will need to do that, expecially in coutnries where
   BLM is not as prominent
   … Where this is daily news it will have different resonance to
   that people have in countries where this isn't the big news
   item.
   … We will need to craft a careful explanation of why this
   statement today.

   Jeff: Agree we should cover this in a cover letter, carefully
   drafted.
   … A downside is that we could call more attention to the issue
   and create a larger backlash. Caution...

   <annette_g> +1 to Jeff

  Progress on action issues

   koalie: Léonie took everything we discussed and raised github
   issues, adding some assignees. I have understood that we can
   bridge the W3C profiles with Github - if your github handle is
   linked to your profile that helps us manage more effectively
   and give you proper access.

   Judy: Followed the instructions but I am apparently still
   blocked from creating sub-pages on the wiki...

   <koalie> [8]https://github.com/w3c/idcg/
   issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+no%3Aassignee

      [8] https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+no:assignee

   koalie: Please look at issues without assignees, so you can
   volunteer for something now if you would like to...

   Judy: When Léonie made issues she preserved the info in the
   original info including additional people interested in
   helping, not just "lead" - some of that seems to have
   disappeared now :(

   <jeff__> [I volunteer for issue #9]

   koalie: If you want to sign up for something please speak up,
   and I hope we manage to get the lost info back too

   <annette_g> I volunteer to help with issue 16

   <amy> I am happy to help add to issue #17 as I did some
   separate research on that

   [<chaals> I volunteer for #9 IE waiver, and #15 terminology]

   koalie: Are the issues Judy raised from our actions, or
   broader?

   <tzviya> i vounteer on 16, reading

   koalie: issue 12 establish partnerships has nobody attached...

   <marisa> offer to help with #17

   <dka_> volunteering for mentoring issue

   koalie: Issue #13 promote discussions?

   <wendyreid> [I'll volunteer for 13!]

   <melanierichards> I can volunteer to help with #13

   <melanierichards> GH username: melanierichards

   Judy: I suggested a meta description of actions that went into
   our statement. Promoting discussions could fit under learning
   or outreach, I am interested in helping either way. I am happy
   to do coordination on outreach as a blanket area.
   … I think Vagner and maybe Barbara were interested in this too.

   <marisa> offer to help with #22

   <BarbH> Yes I am interested in Outreach and Welcoming

   <annette_g> I was volunteering for the reading list

   koalie: Joey, thank you for joining.

   [Joey can help in issue 15 review terminology]

   koalie: So have wee now covered all of them?

   <koalie> [9]https://github.com/w3c/idcg/
   issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+

      [9] https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+

   <Judy> Annette, here is where the reading list work is
   happening: [10]https://github.com/w3c/PWETF/blob/master/
   ReferencesAndResources.md

     [10] https://github.com/w3c/PWETF/blob/master/ReferencesAndResources.md

   <amy> amyvdh

   Jeff: curious if there is an update on how much money the
   diversity fund has raised so far

   WendyR: Have weput out call for donations?

   koalie: Yes, most recently when we opened TPAC registration.
   … We have pledges of about 12k including W3C's 5k

   Jeff: Good.

   <Judy> Issue #16: [11]https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/16

     [11] https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/16

   <Zakim> Judy, you wanted to give an update with Tzviya on Issue
   #16, Curate Reading Lists, and to request additions on some
   kinds of resouces

   <koalie> [12]Curate reading lists #16

     [12] https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/16

   <tzviya> [13]https://github.com/w3c/PWETF/blob/master/
   ReferencesAndResources.md

     [13] https://github.com/w3c/PWETF/blob/master/ReferencesAndResources.md

   Judy: On issue 16 curating a reading list Tzviya and I have
   been organising, populating race and tech links of various
   kinds.
   … got interested because of the ERB/EAB discussion trying to
   find references on that. Looked for a model statement, found
   some references talking about diversity on organisational
   boards.
   … Concept of colourism came up as a global issue related to
   Black Lives Matter. Looking for good non-US articles / research
   on it. Invite people especially who have non US-centric
   reference collections to add references

   Tzviya: This came from the Code of Conduct work, leaving in
   references related to that as we build up more diverse linking.
   I was adding stuff about sexual assault and sexual harassment.
   If you want feedback on whether something is useful, please
   ask, but also please feel free to just add stuff you think is
   relevant.

   <amy> i wonder if we want to reach out to our team and
   colleagues in South Asia about issues kind of related to
   colorism. i was just reading about issues in Silicon Valley
   about bias around caste

   <koalie> [14]Extend the diversity fundExtend the diversity fund

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/8

   <amy> [15]https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/opinion/
   caste-cisco-indian-americans-discrimination.html

     [15] https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/opinion/caste-cisco-indian-americans-discrimination.html

   WendyR: Diversity fund issue - I believe we have outlined what
   we want the fund to cover. Is next thing to open applications?
   … What's the next step to get that sent out so we can get
   submissions.

   koalie: I think that is my action item, and in a month will be
   in a better position to know how much there is in the fund.
   When I asked for sponsorship I said we would use the same
   framework as last year - mid August I will create application
   form, working in this forum for feedback.

   WendyR: Happy to help...

   <wendyreid> [16]https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/8

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/idcg/issues/8

   Dan: Can we then close that issue, or are we going to keep
   using it to track what we are doing. I.e. do we mark it to say
   where it is in progress, do we close it now because we have
   sorted it for now, …? Meta process question

   koalie: Yeah… think we can close it.

   Dan: There is more work to do still. We could label a proposed
   closure step. Maybe we should talk about this with Léonie.

   koalie: Let's defer the discussion until Léonie is available,
   as I don't know how she intended to proceed.

   Judy: Can you sort issues alphabetically or by number?
   … on partnership I am interested.
   … started doing some outreach.
   … There are things mapping against the meta categories, that is
   what the home page of the wiki uses for organisation. Going to
   try to map that too.
   … Issue 10, outreach, I will make a subpage and look for people
   who expressed interest.

   Tzviya: I cannot add Judy, Amy or Joey as assignees at the
   moment.

   koalie: I will chase this up with systems team

   <JoeyS> My github is JGSal does that help?

   <JoeyS> *JoGSal

   <amy> thanks Coralie!

   <koalie> thanks chaals for scribing

   <koalie> and all for attending

   <amy> i assigned myself to issue 17

    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    [17]scribe.perl version 121 (Mon Jun 8 14:50:45 2020 UTC).

     [17] https://w3c.github.io/scribe2/scribedoc.html

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/