Re: Request for consensus to add text in the BLM statement

Everyone,

We are close to achieving our goal of having W3C publish a statement in
support of BLM; we just need to find a way to overcome this last challenge.

The objector states they will withdraw their Formal Objection to the
proposed statement if the following sentence is incorporated into
paragraph 6:

   "As an organization, W3C believes that Black Lives Matter.
   /+We unequivocally stand against racism, injustice, and violence.+/
   We also stand in support of our Indigenous colleagues, colleagues
   of color, LGBTQI+ colleagues, and colleagues with disabilities.

An alternative version of the sentence was then proposed:

"As an organization, W3C believes that Black Lives Matter.
   /+We unequivocally stand against racism, injustice, and violence
against marginalized communities.+/
   We also stand in support of our Indigenous colleagues...

We are now at a point where we need to decide which version of the
sentence we want to adopt, and there are a few things we need to
consider along the way:

1. Will the person who made the formal objection accept the alternative
version of the sentence?

 > Quoting from the objector's statement:
 >
 >   "I believe it is important to clearly state what we _do_ and _do not_
 >   support as W3C organization. We support true equality, we support any
 >   lawful action that aims to fight injustice, but we do not condone
 >   violence or destruction of property. In numerous cases, the peaceful
 >   protests for right social cause were hijacked by radical extremists,
 >   and their violent actions [that clearly deviate from the established
 >   social norms and the rule of law] only diminish the importance of
 >   "Black Lives Matter" message. I do not believe that being vocal about
 >   the rightful cause while being silent about radical violations of
 >   social norms sends the right message - we all know too well that
 >   silence is approval. We do not tolerate any behaviors that violate
 >   our own social norms, we openly speak against any violations of the
 >   W3C Code of Conduct - I do not see why our stance on the larger
 >   social issue should be any different.
 >
 >   "Our stated position should clearly communicate the fact that while
 >   we do support all marginalized and underrepresented communities, and
 >   we support their fight for true equality, we do not condone any
 >   violence or unlawful actions!"

2. If we choose to adopt the alternative version of the sentence, is the
risk that the Director may uphold the formal objection one worth taking?

If we choose not to accept the original sentence and instead choose the
alternative version, and the objector refuses to remove their objection,
the Director will be obliged to consider the formal objection when
deciding whether to approve publication of the statement (or not).

3. Do we want to ask the Director for a delay?

The Director is expecting to review the statement, the responses from
the AC, and (if relevant) the formal objection after the time for our
response has passed (on 28 August).

Kim Crayton has generously offered to review the sentence and offer us
guidance on the wording to use, but unfortunately cannot do this until
next week. It is also possible that the advice we receive means we still
need to answer questions 1 and 2 (noted above).

We also received comments from the AC suggesting that publication of the
statement was already too late, so a delay may validate those comments.

Our most certain route to W3C publishing this statement is to accept the
original version of the sentence, and to ask the Director for his
consent without worrying about the formal objection.

We all want to do the right thing, and to say the right words, and we
have worked hard to produce a statement that received a positive amount
of support from W3C members.

Our opportunity to respond to Ralph ends tomorrow (28 August).

Léonie.

--
Director @TetraLogical
https://tetralogical.com