Re: Request for consensus to add text in the BLM statement

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:04 PM Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com>
wrote:

> On 25/08/2020 12:43, Tobie Langel wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:40 AM Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com
> > <mailto:lwatson@tetralogical.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I have a concern with Marisa's proposed change. If we specifically
> say
> >     we do not support violence against marginalised people it implies
> that
> >     we do support it against non-marginalised people
> >

> > Not really. It means that we recognize that marginalized communities are
> > the target of much more violence, proportionally, than
> > non-marginalized ones.
> >
> > Saying Black Lives Matter isn't saying that other lives don't matter.
> > It's saying that we need to do something about the fact that society, as
> > a whole, acts as if Black lives mattered less than other ones.
> >
> > So, much like saying "all lives matter" in this context is essentially
> > negating systemic racism, saying that we condemn violence against
> > everyone either is a complete platitude, specifically implying that
> > marginalized communities aren't subject to more violence than
> > non-marginalized ones, or even worse, is a dog whistle[1] suggesting the
> > protests are causing violence.
>
> I think this mischaracterises my concern.
>
> My concern is producing a statement that, by implication, condones
> violence done to a person from a marginalised community by another
> person from the same community.

Oh, apologies. I indeed did not understand your comment that way at all.

> Have we considered getting this statement reviewed by someone external
> > who understands the dynamics at play here?
> >

> We haven't, no. If we can find someone who understands the limitations
> we're working with, and who might be able to take a look in the next few
> days, it would provide some valuable insight though.

I would have suggested getting someone like Kim Crayton[2] to review the
statement, but I suspect there's no budget for this.

--tobie

---
 [2]: https://hashtagcauseascene.com/about-kim/