From: Léonie Watson <lw@tetralogical.com>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2019 10:11 AM
To: public-idcg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Diversity scholarship: Identifying under-represented groups

I've had another attempt at some words. Before I get to that though, I have another proposal:

We should not call it a scholarship. Typically a scholarship is a grant to facilitate someone's education, and I don't think that's entirely right in this context. I've used the word "fund" instead in my suggested description, but there are probably better words we could use.

Here's the suggested description:

The purpose of the W3C diversity fund is to increase participation at TPAC, by people who could otherwise not attend.

To apply to the diversity fund you should be from a group that is under-represented in the web community, and unable to attend TPAC without financial help. When you apply, you will be asked to explain (in one or two sentences) what perspectives you will bring, and which areas you would like to contribute to during TPAC.

The definition of "under-represented" means different things to different people, and the language used is also different depending on where you are. For this reason we've chosen not to name specific under-represented groups in this information.

When you apply, you will not be asked to self-identify as belonging to any particular group. If you are comfortable sharing that information, you are welcome to do so, but it will not influence your application either way.

If you are thinking of applying to the diversity fund, but you are not sure whether you should, please get in touch. We will answer your questions in confidence, and offer any help you need to complete the application.

Léonie.