Re: Diversity scholarship: Identifying under-represented groups

On 03/01/2019 00:45, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> On 1/2/2019 5:03 PM, Charles 'chaals' (McCathie) Nevile wrote:
>
>> there are many under-represented communities in W3C. Communities who
>> are obviously who are under-represented include women, people from
>> Africa, the Middle East, Central and South America, Central, South and
>> South-East Asia, refugees and people providing support to refugees,
>> and people with disabilities - especially those who need support for
>> an assistant or carer.
>
> This appears to leave out Americans and Europeans who are from
> under-represented minorities.  I don't feel great about that.

Which neatly returns us to the start: as soon as we mention any set of
under-represented groups, we inevitably don't include them all, and we
receive feedback to point this out.

The advantage of using geographical language (as Chaals has done) is
that it avoids culturally specific references like "people of color". We
could manage Jeff's point by including something like:

"... Central and South America, Central, South and
 >> South-East Asia,  , plus refugees and people providing support to
refugees, and people with disabilities - especially those who need
support for an assistant or carer, no matter where they are from."

This is clumsy and I'm not suggesting these actual words. It's just to
point out that we could include under-represented groups from the US and
Europe too.

The other problem with this sort of description, is that it's hard to
read even if English is your first language and you have no difficulty
reading or understanding it.

Léonie.