Re: Diversity fund selection committee

On 14/02/2019 05:32, Madlaina Kalunder wrote:
> My concern was mostly about the influence of the sponsoring companies on
> the selection process. Depending on the candidates affiliations a
> company might get into a problematic scenario - unless all applicant
> data gets anonymised.
> However this might be regulated depending on what is the decision power
> of one representative of a company.

I don't think any one member of the selection committee should have the
ability to block a candidate. Members of the selection committee should
be guided by the selection criteria, before coming to consensus around
the successful candidate(s).

> Having that said - I don't think a sponsorship should not by default
> give a seat at the committee. It will also bring up questions on the
> size of that group (as Deborah stated) and further questions.

Other than the logistics of organising a conference call to review the
candidates, does the size of the selection committee matter too much?

The selection itself could be done using an online survey platform (like
the WBS system used by the W3C), or even by email (like we do in this CG).

> I believe that a small neutral committe  of 6-8 people can do a good job
> without too much overhead.

This is certainly true. If we'd used this model in 2018 we'd have had 8
people on the selection committee. In 2019 I hope we'll have more
sponsors, but my feeling is that we're unlikely to reach an unmanageable
number - and if we do, ,we can always revise the plan in 2020.

> I was looking at it from a perspective of the IE regulations and that it
> is emphasized that we do not take part on behalf of our affiliations.

I think we can put together some guidelines for participation in the
selection committee that do something similar.

> Again I would love to hear other opinions on this - I am not fully set
> on this but want to give a different perspective.

Perspectives are always very welcome! I would like to put this out for a
CFC by the end of the week if I can, so comments from others on either
of the ideas being discussed would be terrific.

Léonie.

--
Director @TetraLogical