Re: sec 4.11 - transliteration

David,

That's an interesting and relevant example.
I imagine transliteration of people's names and company names and products is
common enough that a web service offering library cataloguing or even just
directory information would want to 'normalize' text for ease of processing and
matching.

For example, pepsi and coke have their names spelled differently around the
world. Someone inquiring about the company might use a native spelling but
still want results based on content in any language.

I am not sure if this is a subset of the more general translation problem
(looking for information on a particular topic in any language requires
translations and thesaurus's for the languages) or a separate issue.

Strikes me as being a legitimate separate issue.

tex

David Clarke wrote:

> >Some types of internationally sensitive processing cannot be inferred
> >solely from a language identifier or a locale. For example, the
> >identifier does not indicate which sort ordering should be used. Types
> >of sort orderings include: telephone, dictionary, phonetic, binary,
> >stroke-radical or radical-stroke. In the latter two cases, the
> >reference for stroke count may also need to be cited.
>
> In Japanese, and probably some other scripts, there are further
> complications, as the identical word or name might be written using
> Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana or Romaji (Roman script) or a mixture of the
> scripts.
>
> E.g. When studying for my MA, in Japanese, my name would appear on
> Japanese course material in Katakana, while it appears on English course
> material in Roman script. For someone sorting course marks by name, it
> would be reasonable for them to expect my marks to appear together...
>
> ---
> David Clarke

Making e-Business Work Around the World