RE: XMLP Issue 263 Resolution

Team:

In the FTF meeting we discussed the SOAP 1.2 Last Call Working Draft
extensively. In particular we looked at length at issue (263). Issue 263
relates to the language of SOAP Fault messages--the human readable text
returned by a Web service when there is an error.

The feeling of the task force members present was that the response of the
XMLP group to this issue, while an improvement, was inadequate and
unsatisfactory and it is our intention to frame some sort of response by the
time of our next (first) teleconference on 7 December. It is very important
that we respond to this issue quickly because of the fact that the SOAP 1.2
comment cycle nearing its end and the fact that the comments from XMLP-WG
are becoming somewhat stale.

This particular issue is clearly an illustration of several specific issues
not currently in the Use Case document for which I drew the action item of
creating the scenarios. I will post my results to the lists at the same time
that I send them to our editor, Kentaroh, in order to speed up public
comment and to spur additional thought about this specific matter and
additional useful commentary.

In briefly reviewing my notes on this issue, I have enumerated for myself at
least five use scenarios only involving language selection in SOAP
HeaderFault and SOAP Fault messages (!).

At the FTF, it was suggested that our reply to XMLP basically be along the
lines of "this is nice, but not enough". The problem that we foresaw at the
meeting was that XMLP will require from us a specific solution for how to
achieve language negotiation. The closest use scenario currently in our
working document is 2.9 (Locale Identification). The potential actions we
can take are:

1. Do nothing. It is possible to consider language negotiation beyond the
scope of the SOAP spec. Doing nothing in SOAP 1.2 would leave our Task Force
free to consider solutions and best practices at a later date.
2. Recommend that XMLP add a requirement that each binding provide a
specific solution to language negotiation, but not specify the solution for
any particular binding.
3. Recommend that XMLP provide a specific solution that applies to all SOAP
documents.

I will post the use case scenarios on-line shortly. In the meantime,
consider how this issue should be addressed.

On a personal note, if we choose the third alternative, we had best be
prepared to offer up the design for language negotiation in a SOAP document
or XMLP will (rightfully) hand us our heads and ignore our suggestion.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
webMethods, Inc.

+1 408.962.5487 (phone)  +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
It is not a feature.

Chair, W3C-I18N-WG Web Services Task Force
To participate see http://www.w3.org/International/ws