Re: entry page for tutorials ?

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 22:11, r12a <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
>
> On 14/07/2019 05:30, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> 1) I can't find the entry page for the tutorials. I don't see anything on the top https://www.w3.org/International/ site.
>> Wouldn't it be nice to have them visible in the Quick links box on the right?
>
> hmm. Interesting.  There is no separate page listing tutorials at the moment,

1) Indeed. Why not use "articles & tutorials" in Quick links > Docs, instead of just "articles" ? That would also reflect the title of the target page!

Also, in the "Articles & tutorials" page, maybe using some formatting to clearly identify tutorials would be enough to make them more obvious ?

For ex, instead of:
	Handling character encodings in HTML and CSS (tutorial)

have:
[tutorial] Handling character encodings in HTML and CSS

Can I send you a PR for the English, so that you can check how it would look ?

> but there are two ways to find them from /International:
>
> 1. click on Authoring HTML & CSS (under Get Help)
> 2. click on 'articles' in the quick links
>
> I believe they are also linked to from the 'getting started' docs.

Correct, in the right side navigation, "Resource by type" and in the page itself under "Resource type".

>> 2) Meanwhile, I'd like to start "techniques/authoring-html", is somebody working on it ?
>
> That's not currently a page we have up for translation.  Basically, the english version needs a bit of attention itself, and the idea is that it is constantly changing as we add new articles or links.  Given my experience with translators (excepting current company), that's a recipe for a page that will quickly become outdated :(

2) That's too bad, I did notice that the page was a bit outdated but with OmegaT it is trivial to update a page so I started and I've already 1/4 done :)

Those technique pages are pretty important as they offer various entry points for all the i18n.

So, what I'm going to do is I'll put this one on the back burner but will still proceed when I have time.

3) Regarding the "Finding a page that needs translation" at:
https://www.w3.org/International/2004/06/translation

The link to the "list of articles" does not seem to work on my side. I don't have a top right language selection device and all the page seems like it is not styled at all. So I don't have a way to identify what is or is not in French.

What I did is clone the repository and check all the files that already have a .fr. suffix. All those that don't, I imagined they were available for translation (except for those already attributed in the "Translation in progress" github project.

Is there an alternative and more orthodox way to identify the pieces to translate ?

4) Also, as I was checking the various links, I noticed quite a number of translated TRs but there does not seem to be a tradition of offering reference aligned multilingual files for translators, something like a TMX (or similar) repository.

Has that been discussed in the past ?

5) Last for today, I'm seeing this really nice page:
https://www.w3.org/TR/

where all the standards are tagged but clicking on a tag does not bring a list of similarly tagged documents, too bad :)

Sorry to send you so many questions, etc. I understand you must be quite busy with the whole thing already.

Jean-Christophe Helary