Re: FVS Assignment for A

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:54:05 +0100
To: <public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org>
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:58:01 +0900
<jrmt@almas.co.jp> wrote:

> > The purpose of free variation selectors is to overrule the
> > decisions of
> the basic context rules.
> I did not see this explanation yet.
> As my understanding is the MVS is prior than FVS.

I am assuming that by 'prior' you mean taken into account earlier in
the processing.  If you don't, please ignore my post.

I OpenType (I don't know about AAT) has a new type of look-up table
in the cmap table, format 14, which converts a combination of base code
point and variation selector to a glyph.  If one uses this - I haven't
experimented with using it - FVS is necessarily prior to MVS in the
order of substitutions.

Richard.