Re: New Thread - FVS Assignment MisMatch

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 00:56:29 +0900
<jrmt@almas.co.jp> wrote:

> For example, following is my personal consideration.
>
> 1. We select the most commonly used isolate, initial, medial, final
> form of the character as the default Variant form (No need FVS1-3).
>
>    The variant form listed on the primary school first year pupil's
> text book comes first (is the default form).

>    The default isolate form have to be same with the Unicode encoding
> chart.

No!  The Unicode editing committee tried to chose a form that was
unique to a particular character.  That does not make it the
appropriate default isolate.  Remember, the basic character charts are
not normative; they merely serve to tell the reader which character has
a particular code.  This can fail spectacularly when characters are
distinguished by their sound rather than their shapes.  (There are also
a few Korean Chinese compatibility characters that are
principally distinguished by sound.)

A similar example is the pairs U+0061 LATIN SMALL LETTER A and
U+0251 LATIN SMALL LETTER ALPHA and U+0067 LATIN SMALL LETTER G and
U+0261 LATIN SMALL LETTER SCRIPT G.  A Unicode-compliant font for a
children's book may render U+0061 and U+0067 like the reference glyphs
for U+0251 and U+0261; it may even render each pair identically.

I trust the following (points 2 to 5) are guiding principles for dealing
with overlooked or definitely unclear combinations.  Unicode might not
take kindly to changing the existing assignments.

> 2. To exactly specify the second regularly used variant form, we will
> use FVS1.
<snip>

> Because of the previous existing Mongolian Variant formatting rule
> have not clearly, uniquely defined the form selection.

How much of the problem is due to unclear determination of whether
the starting point is the isolated, initial, medial or final form?
There may conceivably be an error in the 'joining type' of MVS and
NNBSP.  As far as the variation selectors are concerned, the
Unicode standard rules that the preceding letter is final or isolated,
and the following letter is initial or isolated.  Apart from any issues
there, the definitions should be clear. I looked and saw no difference
for the Mongolian script between StandardizedVariants.html in Versions
4.00 and 8.00 of Unicode.

Richard.