RE: NNBSP-MVS Impact

From: Greg Eck <greck@postone.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 14:33:48 +0000
To: "public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org" <public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org>
CC: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad.esfahbod@gmail.com>
Behdad Esfahbod, as the Harfbuzz designer,  was kind enough to answer my  questions of how Harfbuzz handles the MVS/NNBSP context. He confirmed my understanding that Harfbuzz follows the Microsoft Universal Shaping Engine in the following ... Thank you Behdad ...

Given the string <MONG_INITIAL><MONG_MEDIAL>< MONG_LETTER ><NNBSP><MONG_SUFFIX> where MONG is the range U+1820 - U+18AA, Harfbuzz applies the <fina> tag applied to MONG_LETTER

The same processing holds for <MONG_INITIAL><MONG_MEDIAL>< MONG_LETTER ><MVS><U+1820 | U+1821>

It would be nice to find out whether Apple rendering systems follow suit. If anyone knows of an Apple engineer that we could ask, I will follow up on the matter. Or if there are other rendering systems that we should consider, please bring them up.

The DS00 charts have been updated. I am also attaching two files that have been helpful to me in considering the range of usage of the MVS / NNBSP. DS04 deals with MVS usage. DS05 deals with NNBSP usage. Comments/corrections/questions are welcome.

Let's go on to consider six cases where the MVS/NNBSP affect the shaping behavior of the character immediately preceeding/following the MVS/NNBSP - U+1820, U+1828, U+182C, U+182D, U+1835, and U+1836.

Greg Eck