Re: BP comments

Hi Yves, Jirka, all,

Yves Savourel wrote:
> Hi Jirka,
>
> Thanks for going through the document.

+1
> Here are my notes.
>
> BTW, Felix and Richard, please make sure to read as there are questions to you.
>

>> Example 22:
>> XPath expression //img/@alt[../@role='ui'] can be written as
>> //img[@role='ui']/@alt which is easier to read. I already
>> made this change in CVS.
>>

> Thanks.
>

>> Example 24:
>> Ed. note: Shouldn't the ==> be ==> ? Otherwise, what's
>> the point of the example?
>> It is not necessary to escape > in XML (except when it is
>> preceded by ]]). There is still ampersand to be escaped.
>> I think that example is OK and I have removed editorial note.
>>

> Good point on >. I'll changed it to have 2 escape cases in the exmaple.
>

>> Example 27:
>> I have slightly improved identation for better readability.
>>

> OK.
>

>> General issue with quotes. We are currently using typewriter
>> quotes like "quote" in prose. Shouldn't we use proper English
>> "quotes"? Is this covered by W3C style guide?
>>

> I don't know the answer to this one.
> Felix? Richard?

the W3C manual of style says at
http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Punctuation
[[Remember you are typing HTML or XML not TeX. Use quotation marks
rather than grave accents and apostrophes to quote text (e.g., ``value''
should read "value").]]
I'm not aware of any additional, language-specific style rules for
quotes. I think typewriter quotes are fine.

>> Section 5.1.1: Integration of ITS into XHTML Example is
>> labeled as "non-conformant XHTML". Document is really non-conformant
>> as defined in XHTML spec. But XHTML conformance definition is
>> really silly. As this BP is for normal people and not standard wonks
>> who knows oddities of spec what about removing "non-conformant"
>> adjective completely? I think that current wording can scare people
>> little bit.
>> Then sentence "There are three ways to use ITS with XHTML and
>> keep the XHTML document conformant:" can be changed to "There are
>> three ways to use ITS with XHTML and keep the XHTML document valid:"
>>

> That's one for Felix. Felix?

I'm fine with these changes.

>> Section 5.1.2.1: There is * (asterisks) after word "description"
>> in attribute definition. Does * has some purpose here or is this
>> just a typo?
>>

> Not sure. Felix what's the * for in '("alert"|"description"*)'? that 'description' is optional but not 'alert'???

that's a typo, I just fixed it in CVS

>> Example 42:
>> I would suggest removing xsi:schemaLocation attribute as it is
>> usually bad practice to tightly bing document to particular schema.
>>

> Your section Felix, you decide.

fine by me, I removed the attribute, together with xmlns:xsi in CVS.

>> Section 5.3:
>> There are only links to schemas, but source listings of
>> schemas are not present. In other section we usually show
>> schema listing. Shouldn't we unify this?
>>

> Yes, it would be good, if we have time.

the schemas are rather long. Are you sure you really want to show
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/xmlspec/xmlspec.dtd
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/xmlspec/xmlspec.rnc
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/xmlspec/xmlspec.xsd
in the BP document?