ITS Use Case - Running Server Software in Multilingual environment

Dear Yves,  everybody,

  thank you for the series of encouraging messages about use cases.
 As I felt obliged to add at least one use case to what Yves has
contributed to,
 I chose Ricoh's major interest in ITS as the first example.

==============================

Customer benefits of digital office equipments tend to be multiplied by
being
networked as Metcalfe's Law indicates.  The more business organizations
go through globalization process, the more multilingual functionalities are
required of such equipments and intranet server software.

End users should be able to use their own languages to perform their own
tasks, and yet are required to write emails in foreign languages or write
some documents in more than one languages.  When they send electronic
documents to the printer or faxing machine, the control panel of such
equipment would automatically switch into their native language, whereas
any intermediate server software, any middleware or Web Service engines
have to process the internationalized contents without any problem.

System integrators would be able to use ITS tag set effortlessly in order
to let various sort of language mixture appropriately processed by
XSLT engine or any other database middleware.   Some database engines
would take advantage of ITS tags to appropriately process the partial
contents of the XML document record that consists of more than one
languages.  ITS tags may sometimes trigger looking up bilingual
dictionaries
to consistently translate the words stored in a field of database records.

There could be some challenges in server software that incoporates
workflow management system, which is supposed to generate tasks at
each node of the workflow in different languages and yet has to keep
the integrity of the workflow.  Not only the words, but also some
security related constraints that vary across countries may have to
be appropriately applied to each nodes triggered by referring to ITS tags.

More ordinary server software, would require switching from language to
language, or serving multiple language clients at the same time.   ITS
based profile should have to be referred to on the fly,  especially in case
the server software is required to be free from restarting the program
and yet is capable of switching among languages or supporting new language
that was added upon request by a new user.

Stakeholders:

This scenario relates to the developers of networked digital office
equipments
and server software.  IT infrastructure architects in solution provider
companies
should also pay attention to ITS for designing multilingual intranet
contents service
environment.  Database engineers among others should be aware of the
appropriate
location to place ITS profile -- inside DB engine, within the middleware,
outside the DBMS, or more like in distributed manner.   In case ITS tags
are
embedded in the contents themselves, contents creators and CMS designers
are required to design the structure of the XML documents in which ITS
tags are used.

 ==============================

> Hi all,
>
> I think it would be a good idea--as Naoyuki suggested at the last telecon
> ference--to have a section, somewhere near the
> introduction, that go through a few Use cases. This would help the reader
>  to place ITS in a clearer context. So, I've come up with a
> few cases. I invite you to improve them and/or come up with additional (P
> lease, start a new thread if you start a new use case).
>
> ==============================
>
> As a technical writer develop a content that is meant to be localized lat
> er on, he or she may need to label specific part of the
> text for various purposes:
> - terms that should not be translated or translated using a pre-existing
> terminology list.
> - sections of the document that should remain in the source language.
> - acronym or a complicated expressions with an explanation note for the t
> ranslator.
>
> The use of a standardized set of tags would allow the authoring systems t
> o provide a simple interface for performing these tasks.
> For example, the user would select a portion of text not to translate and
>  click a button to mark it up as "not translatable" with a
> tag identical across document types. Such interface would help allow the
> authors to provide a better context of work for the
> translators.
>
> Stakeholders:
>
> This scenario relates to the technical writers or any author of content t
> hat develop a material to localize, as well as to the
> developers of the authoring systems.
> ==============================
>
> Cheers,
> -yves
>
>  - C.htm

 > Dear Ishida-san,
 >
 >   my name is Naoyuki Nomura, and I am the one who talked to Prof. Martin
 > Duerst in Tokyo a few weeks ago.
 >
 > > Martin Duerst tells me that during the Japanese Member meeting you
 expr
 > essed interest in the work of the Internationalized Tag Set (ITS)
 Working