Re: Comments in Indic Layout Requirements

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:39 AM, Gihan Dias <gihan@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:

> On 2014/12/02 පෙ.ව. 7:30, Norbert Lindenberg wrote:
>
>> – It might be desirable to include a few other Brahmi-derived writing
>> systems that are used in countries near India, such as Sinhalese, Nepalese,
>> and Tibetan, since chances of them getting their own requirements document
>> are pretty slim. South-east Asian scripts may eventually get covered by
>> their own requirements document.
>>
>> – Most of the content of the document seems focused on Hindi written in
>> Devanagari. This seems to imply that all other Indian writing systems work
>> pretty much the same as this one. I’m not an expert, but I’ve heard claims
>> that there significant differences between Indian writing systems,
>> especially between southern ones such as Tamil and Malayalam and the
>> northern ones. If that’s the case, such differences should be documented.
>>
> This document seems to cover Devanagari and similar scripts.
> I do not think it is useful to include South Indian scripts such as Tamil,
> or scripts like Sinhala, in this document.
>
> These should be covered in a different document.

It serves a purpose unless someone steps forward to create a document
specific to some South Indian script. Sinhala would be a good candidate as
well as Bengali. However, given the traditional inclusion of Tamil, Telugu,
Kannada, and Malayalam among those scripts covered by ISCII their common
grouping in Unicode, it is entirely appropriate to treat them in the same
document as Devanagari et al.