RE: I18n quick tips master

Hello Richard,

At 19:32 06/01/07, Richard Ishida wrote:

 >Hm, yes.  I originally did have colons, but changed to be more like the WAI
 >cards. http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/tips.gif  I also found that it gave
 >the impression of more space, which made the text look better.  So I think I
 >prefer to keep as is.

I guess I can live with that.

 >> - The second point (Escapes) uses terms such as "numeric
 >> character reference",
 >>    which not very many people understand. I think I have earlier
 >>    made the suggestion to use examples. There is still enough
 >>    space on the second line to include them. So what about:
 >>    o Escapes. Only use escapes (numeric character references and
 >>      entities, e.g. α, α) in specific circumstances.
 >
 >This is interesting.  We added (numeric character references and entities)
 >to the text as a result of discussion during last week's telecon.  People
 >felt that 'escapes' was not clear enough, but that people would understand
 >better with the additional text. I like the idea of examples, though.  I'm
 >even wondering whether we could just say:
 >
 >Escapes. Only use escapes (eg. á, á or á) in specific
 >circumstances.
 >
 >What do people think?

That would definintely be fine with me. I think there are more people who
recognize the examples than who recognize the technical terms.

I'm a bit worried to use á (and the corresponding numbers) as an
example, because the change that that doesn't need an escape is much
higher than e.g. for α, and we shouldn't give people an example
that they in most cases shouldn't use.

 >Martin, I'm anxious not to use up all the remaining space on the line if
 >possible, since I expect we'll end up translating these cards, and
 >translations will be longer than the English.  It's pretty tight already, so
 >whatever space we can save will be good.

Ah, I see. Didn't think about that.

 >> - Language: The word 'declare' is repeated. What about just:
 >>    o Language: Declare the text-processing language of documents
 >>      and indicate any internal language changes.
 >>    We may even be able to add something like "e.g. using xml:lang",
 >>    although that may get too long. (In general, I think that
 >>    a few more examples would help people making the right connections
 >>    and getting more of an impression of how this is related to their
 >>    day-to-day work.)
 >
 >Yes, removing 'declaration' may be ok.  What do others think?  This
 >certainly helps wrt text expansion in translation.
 >
 >I intentionally didn't add a reference to xml:lang, since I'm trying to be
 >more general.  It could also be declared in lang attributes or even in http
 >headers.  The longer HTML version will point to information about all that
 >kind of detail.

I understand.

Regards,    Martin.