Re: Please read new articles before Wednesday

Hi Richard,

Very nice articles!

Some comments on
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/composite-messages/ :

- in the "further readings section" it says "Other W3C I18N resources
relating to ___". I guess the blank has to be filled in.
- "Across separate display areas. One common problem is caused where
omposite message" should be "across separate display areas. One common
problem is caused where composite message"
- "XXX GET A GERMAN EXAMPLE": How about:
"[jederzeit, innerhalb von drei Monaten, innerhalb von sechs Monaten,
innerhalb einen Jahres] veraenderte Webseiten abrufen"
and
"Zeitabschnitt fuer abgerufene Webseiten: [jederzeit, innerhalb von drei
Monaten, innerhalb von sechs Monaten, innerhalb einen Jahres]"
- Subject-predicate arrangements versus Sentence-like arrangements: are
there approaches which combine both? Like having as a pair
 1) "The stacker has been disabled." and
 2) "stacker, disabled". (a list of the concepts involved, *not* the
words to express them)
The person who produces the original text, e.g. 1), also would have to
produce 2). A translator sees only 2), and has to create 3):
 3) "(Some translation of 2))"
2) then should also contain the necessary variables.
Wouldn't such an approach solve many problems?

A comment on http://www.w3.org/International/articles/text-reuse/ :

- As for terms, you give the "reset" example which cannot be reused
easily. I am wondering if this problem is not a problem of "reset", but
of the target language Dutch which has two expressions for general reset
and system reset. In other words: it seems to me impossible to create a
list of "save" terms, without knowing the target language(s). Imagine
the famous example of "snow": A translation from English into German
encompassing "snow" would have no problem, but if an Eskimo language is
the target language, you would get into trouble ...

Cheers,

Felix