RE: Tutorial design change

Hi Martin,

> From: Martin Duerst [mailto:duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp]
> Sent: 03 February 2006 03:16

> It's more than 1MB with all the images.

This is not helped by the use of .png graphics, which strangely turn out
much larger than corresponding .gifs would be.  I'm thinking of maybe
changing to gifs.

> Of course, a much better solution would be to use SVG for the
> slides, that would reduce the bandwidth dramatically and have
> other nice side-effects (e.g. accesssibility).

True, but then you wouldn't be able to correctly see half the examples
because of the limitations of svg players (eg. arabic text doesn't join).
Plus, until we have some better converters or editors, it would make slide
development or modification so time consuming that it would seriously affect
maintainability. In addition, many people won't have and won't be allowed to
have SVG plug-ins in their browsers. Believe me, I'd be much happier if we
could use SVG, and I've tried it in the past.

Wrt accessibility, I've taken great pains to build in accessibility
constructs and ensure that, for example, someone who can't see the graphics
can get as much information as possible (and usually all the information you
could expect) from the notes.

Cheers,
RI