W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > June 2005

Minutes 2005-05-25: GEO telecon

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Message-Id: <20050601124720.108D64EFFC@homer.w3.org>

Minutes 2005-05-25: GEO telecon, at at 17:00 UTC/GMT, 10:00 Seattle, 13:00 Boston, 18:00 London, 19:00 Paris, 03:00 Melbourne

Deborah Cawkwell (BBC)
Molly Holzschag (No affiliation)
Richard Ishida (W3C, Chair)
Russ Rolfe (Microsoft)
Felix Sasaki (W3C)

Susan Miller (Boeing)

Action: RI to resurrect this email, add to agenda for for next week

RI: Propose solution to Andrea's comment about capitalisation of i18n/l10n - ongoing
RI, implement agreed changes to resource boxes in techniques doc - ongoing
RR, make list of dev resources & divy up (outreach) - RR sent out about 3 weeks ago. List needs to be divided, each member to contact list owner 1) to join 2) to publicize new docs on GEO. 

Celebrating W3C 10 years old in Europe - next week (Friday)
RI: speaking about how W3C as unifying force in europe
RI: to attend AC Rep meeting
RI: Casablanca, LISA in Africa, focus: localization technology
RI: attending CSS WG next week
RR: week 5-10 June MS tech meeting in Orlando
DC: BBC colleague, Ian Forrester to speak at XTech, Amsterdam re RSS for a worldwide audience. Presentation/paper to be circulated to W3C I18N.


Molly Holzschlag (MH) joined as new member: 
- web design for as long as web has existed; 
- areas of interest: markup: HTML, CSS, accessibility
- technical publication author
- WASP committee member

Discussion re Getting Started material

- idea is to provide a softer starting point
- i18n in 10 points
- unfortunately SM couldn't be at meeting & this is first time group has submitted comments/discussed
- very good quality content & seen as key in GEO work
- not sure about structure
- would like to see a more scannable/bulleted approach
- skeleton structure at top would help overview/review process
- emphasize (initial/foundation) i18n architecture
- overview of different topics in terms of headings
- discussion around structuring in terms of bullets, or more headings on paragraphs
- more links & visualized links
- as succinct as possible
- as scanable as possible, eatable bites
- could there be a structuring convention providing an information delivery model for the user? 

- the text seemed to assume translation
- some sites don't have a one-to-one mapping between each language page
- localisation & resources aspect - not all information relevant to each language/locale
- some sites don't translate word-for-word, but rather use 'English' information as a resource in addition to their language/locale-specific resources
- content negociation (on server) not necessarily relevant (if no one-to-one mapping) - user finds information within their language/locale context
- page-serving variables relevant, eg, language (IANA code) & encoding
Your Globalization Project
- seems focussed on problems, rather than think about this, think about that...
- in terms of structure, seems to be owned by manager, not by whole team, ie, manager/editorial, designer, developer, etc

WIKI editing discussion
- now bold not necessary for comments, but can be used (felt useful by some)   
- comments should now be within double brackets

What to do next week
In the pipeline
iff SM available, then Getting Started
Unicode upgrade?


This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. 
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. 
Further communication will signify your consent to this.
Received on Wednesday, 1 June 2005 12:47:21 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:03:23 UTC