RE: Feedback: Using non-ASCII characters in Web addresses

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for this. See inline...

============
Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

W3C Internationalization:
http://www.w3.org/International/

Publication blog:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/

I rewrote these. Should be better.

> 1) why
> 2) how it works technically
> 3) relationship to URI
> 4) does it work at all points, eg, UA, domain reg, etc
> ------------------
> Could be stronger & more direct suggestion to register two names:
> "In practise, it would make sense to register two names for
> your domain. One in your native script, and one using just
> the regular Latin characters. The latter will be more
> memorable and easier to type for people who do not read and
> write your language. For example, as a minimum, you could
> additionally register a transcription of the Japanese in
> Latin script, such as the following:"

Not sure how to make that more direct.

> ------------------
> .jp is lower case to start with.
> "Note how the ASCII characters 'JP' are lowercased, but
> otherwise just passed through ."

This was referring to the JP at the beginning of the domain name. I made that clearer.

> ------------------
> Which version of IE?
> IE 5.0, 5.5, & 6.0 according to download page

Added

> (http://www.idnnow.com/index.jsp) "The conversion process was
> already supported natively in Mozilla 1.4 / Netscape 7.1, and
> Opera 7.2. It works in Internet Explorer if you download a
> plug-in (for example, this one)."
> Worked for me with IE 6.0
> ------------------
> I think 'Additional problems' section would sit better in a
> technical how-it-works section, saying that by escaping
> non-ASCII characters can be represented without IRIs, but
> that this is dependent on the encoding in the file system,
> ie, in the example case, Shift-JIS or UTF-8.
> The first line of the current 'Additional problems' section, ie:
> "An IRI is defined as a sequence of characters, not bytes -
> so the fact that the IRI might be represented in documents or
> protocols using different encodings is irrelevant."
> Does not go to the heart of one problem; it is the reason why
> the escape solution can be a problem. The additional problem
> being human readability and memorability. But I think it's
> useful to include the statement that a URI & IRI is
> represented as a sequence of characters, not as a sequence of octets.
> What is the relationship between URI & IRI?

I hope this is all clearer in the new version. I moved things around a bit.

Cheers,
RI