Re: FW: [WSG] choosing encoding, charset and using special characters

Hi all,

Russ Rolfe wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2004 2:08 PM Matthew Cruickshank wrote
>

>>I think it's even a difficult article for techies, because there's little good advice.
>>So here's some good advice, http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

a lot of people link to this document.

> He was talking about (http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/)
> Maybe we should re think this and others of our documents.

My gut reaction is that there is a need for different types of documents
for different audiences. There is a lot of interesting detail in the
tutorial, and i'd be tempted not to change it too much.

Although, there is an need for a simple step-by-step guide with
recommendations that would be suitable for the novice. I was intending
to spend some time in December trying to put something together. I was
thinking of using a core document, and creating additional
sections/chapters that look at design issues relating to CJK and ARabic
script languages, minority and endangered langauges, etc.

Just a loose idea at the moment.

--
Andrew Cunningham
e-Diversity and Content Infrastructure Solutions

andrewc+AEA-vicnet.net.au

Ph. 3-8664-7430
Fax: 3-9639-2175

http://www.openroad.net.au/