RE: Index improvements

First thoughts on some of the easier things to comment on...

I thought about this too.  I'm expecting most people most of the time to
search the page for items of interest, rather than read.  The questions
serve to help the user see what's at the other end of the link without
having to go there and return.  Might be good to have short subheadings
though every so often.

> I would use an icon for tutorial, article, FAQ, so they do
> not need to be read over and over. I am not convinced they
> should be intermixed or that all 3 are appropriate to answer
> some of these questions.

This is an index to locate information on the site, so I disagree and
believe that it must point to multiple locations where appropriate.

>(Tutorial is too broad as a response
> to specific questions, faqs are too narrow for general questions.

If you follow the links to the tutorials, you'll see that I link *into* the
tutorial at the most appropriate place when this is a fairly specific
question.

> I would organize differently.
> Grabbing the first few topics I resequenced them.
>
> Here is what I grabbed:
>
> How do I choose an encoding for my document?
> Tutorial: Character sets & encodings in XHTML, HTML and CSS
> How do I specify the encoding of an HTML, XHTML, XML or CSS document?
> Tutorial: Character sets & encodings in XHTML, HTML and CSS
> Techniques: Specifying a page encoding
> Article: Character encodings
> Article: Serving XHTML 1.0
> Where can I find the charset names?
> URI: IANA charset registry
> How do I set up my server to serve the right encoding for a page?
> Article: The HTTP charset parameter
> How do I set character encoding in my web authoring applications?
> FAQ: Setting encoding in web authoring applications
> Can I encode XML and X/HTML in non-Unicode encodings, if the
> document character set is Unicode?
> FAQ: Document character set
> How much support exists today for HTML written in Unicode?
> FAQ: Who uses Unicode?
>

> I would organize as follows and then fill in with the materials :
>
> (Major heading) Character Sets, Character Encodings, Charset
> 1) What are they?
>
> 2) What are their names?
>
> 3) Which one should I use?
>
> 4) When is Unicode appropriate?
>
> 5) How do I specify character encodings:
> 5a) in documents
> 5b) in HTTP
> 5c) in Web authoring tools
> 5d) in Web Servers

I was certainly thinking that this section was beginning to reach a size
that merited subdivision and better organization.  Phil and Leslie, we
should probably also do some card sorting type exercise on this.

RI