Re: Voice over IP: request for information

Hello Deborah,

Many team members (including myself) at W3C use a company called
Vonage (www.vonage.com). For US$25 a month, you get unlimited local
calls in the area code of your choosing, and very cheap long-distance
and international calls (so cheap that it turns out to be cheaper
to use that service when calling from Japan to Japan as soon as
you call somewhere a bit far away :-). There is also an offer for
US$15 with limited free minutes (about 8h). What you need to start
is a credit card and an address in the US where they can send you
the box that takes IP (Ethernet) in and allows you to plug in a
plain old analog phone. The physical address in the US is irrelevant
later, because you get all your invoices electronically.
We all have 617 area code numbers so that its free/cheap to call
to the teleconference bridge.

There are similar services in Japan, so there might also be in GB.

Regards,   Martin.