RE: 1st Working Draft of Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization Published

Hello Jungshik,

Many thanks for these comments. Here is my summary of the discussions we had
during our teleconference relating to your points.

============
Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

W3C Internationalization:
http://www.w3.org/International/

Thanks for bringing this point up.  We will add some information to the
guidelines at the appropriate point.

>  In 14.1 Date & Time, it's adised that 'words for the month
> be used and an example (02 mar 2004) is given. I'm not sure
> of the wisdom of this.
> For speakers of European languages, that may be a good
> advice, but for East Asian users, that doesn't seem to as
> good (and I'm not sure of other regions/languages). At the
> minimum, YYYY-MM-DD format (as specified in ISO 8601) should
> be mentioned as a rather universal and
> culture/language-neutral alternative.

We felt that YYYY-MM-DD format has a fairly technical bias, and is not
always the preferred form for a particular locale, although it could be
useful in some circumstances.  We also note that pages are in a given
language most of the time, and one might generally expect month names to be
recognised in most situations, though that might not hold for certain
special types of reference page aimed at a reader who doesn't need to
understand the language text. So we think the guidelines should say
something like: consider YYYY-MM-DD, especially when dealing with an
international audience, or use the month name if a local format is more
appropriate.  (Of course, this doesn't apply in quite the same way for CJK,
since the month name is a number plus character. That should be explained.)

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

RI