Re: [public-i18n-geo] <none>

Hello Russ,

This is a good example, a bit too specific for the first question
for my taste, but I think we should just go with it.
A few comments below:

At 13:42 03/05/05 -0700, Russ Rolfe wrote:
>Richard,
>
>Here is my question as promised  Let me know what we need to do next.
>
>Regards, Russ
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Question:
>
>As part of a form, I have a list of terms in a drop-down box.  Why are
>they not correctly sorted when I translate the items in the list?
>

>Answer:
>
>Although many programming languages have devices like drop-down boxes that
>have the capability of sorting a list of items before displaying them as
>part of their functionality.

Half a sentence. Needs completion.

>The HTML <select> function has no such capabilities.  It will list the
><options> in the order received.  Thus one must manually pre-sort their
>translated options before presenting them to the client.
>
>For example, lets say we have a pull-down list for types of pets.  In the
>list, we have the following in alphabetical order:

The problem with this example is that the script that gets the input
has to react to cat, kat, dog, hound,... and it's getting worse
when more options are added. I strongly suggest we use the 'value'
attribute:

><form .....>
>    <select size="1" name="pet">
>       <option value='cat'> cat </option>
>       <option value='dog'> dog </option>
>       <option value='mouse'> mouse </option>
>    </select>
></form>
>
>When this is translated to Dutch, the list becomes
>
>    <form .....>
>    <select size="1" name="pet">
>       <option value='cat'> kat </option>
>       <option value='dog'> hond </option>
>       <option value='mouse'> muis </option>
>    </select>
></form>
>
>But for it to be in correct Dutch alphabetical order we will need to
>re-arrange to list to:
>

>    <form .....>
>    <select size="1" name="pet">
>       <option value='dog'> hond</option>
>       <option value='cat'> kat </option>
>       <option value='mouse'> muis </option>
>    </select>
></form>
>
>This must be done for each language to be displayed.

Regards,      Martin.