Re[2]: FW: acronym in title...

At 07:36 AM 2003-03-13, Richard Ishida wrote:
[Place all 'localisable' i.e. natural language text in elements, not
attributes.]

<new>

I think that the one thing I should add right away is that there
is an option using "annotation" techniques to leave the attribute as is
and introduce a higher-quality equivalent through a structure which
refers to the attribute.

This issue is coupled with providing clarifying information for natural
language in all kinds of texts.  PF will have a page in public on this topic
in a few days.

</new>

The PF history here is that lately we have been arguing for the SVG model over
the HTML model for this reason.  We just haven't got HTML to absorb the SVG
model in this regard yet.

HOWEVER, just what the structures should be is not necessarily given a
final answer
in the svg:title svg:desc pair of element types.  This is related to the thread
about "Should a browser use the ALT string as a tooltip?" running on the UA
list.

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2003JanMar/thread.html#43

It's a genuine issue, the accessibility concerns are sympathetic with what
Richard
has suggested, but we still need a well-formed process to reduce this to
features
in the XHTML 2.0 specification.

Al