From: public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org [mailto:public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Arko, Phil
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 1:34 PM
To: 'public-i18n-geo@w3.org'
Subject: Q&A content

Greetings all,

In trying to come up with Q&A content, I was trying to think of how to appeal to a broader audience. In my opinion, the current questions were too advanced, and I fear that they might scare away those that are just starting to explore--or expand into--this area. After reading the previous emails, I see that others have already been thinking that way. These are all great questions! I think we could probably use a few even more elementary questions as well. Below are a few of what I was thinking. Any thoughts?

1. Why are the benefits of adding international-friendly code?

    - quick overview of benefits
    - demographics of "who" is using the web
    - quick mention of the markup languages,
      and how they work together (Unicode, XML, XHTML, etc.)
    - quick mention of internationalization and localization
    - long-term business benefits

2. What are the first steps in migrating an existing HTML-based site to an international-friendly multilingual enabled XHTML site?

    - walk through a suggested process at a very basic level
      (including analyzing their business requirements and
      future business growth plans)
    - what skills and/or knowledge are needed
      (refer to supplemental resources)
    - introduce some considerations to help decide
      what's best for their site/product

3. What are the next steps...?

    - <this could be a "Part 2" to the above question>

4. Which web authoring applications can be used to create multilingual XHTML?

    - <This is often very useful, but do we
      want to cover this topic?>

5. What design & editorial considerations are there for multilingual sites?

    - discuss and give examples of:
       - current language indicator (& change selector)
       - country indicator (& change selector)
       - font software requirements
       - font treatments across different cultures
    - quick overview of cultural differences in:
      - time/date formats
      - punctuation
      - etc...
    - refer to supplemental internationalization resources
      which discuss cultural concerns dealing with color,
      religion, etc.

Thanks,

Phil Arko
Siemens