Re: proposed question: which languages are RTL?

Tex Texin wrote:

> 2)I think the point I made  in the background section about multiple scripts
> with Yiddish, is sufficient for this Q. (Let me know if you think not.) But
> "Can a language be written in more than one script?" would make a good
> additional Q and the answer can list some of the more common languages that
> have multiple scripts, along with the implications for web development of
> perhaps having to support multiple scripts for a single language, or choosing
> the right script. It should also be noted that the "preferred" script changes
> from time to time.

yep, you're right.

> Maybe an interesting point to make is that besides languages which can be
> written in either one or another script is that some languages require
> multiple scripts simultaneously such as Japanese with its Kanji, Hiragana and
> Katakana. But if you are using Unicode, I am not sure that there are any
> design decisions that need to be made. Prior to Unicode code page choices may
> have been limiting.

assuming unicode can handle it?

but porbably don't really need to go into it in terms of your Q&A.

OT:

With respect to African languages and the Arabic script, I belive that
some Ajami aren't in Unicode.

Its an area where research is still going on. Been a few posts on
Unicode-Afrique (although my french isn't good enough to follow a lot of
the discussion)

additionally: http://www.quicktopic.com/18/D/y4dBcRx9hQWK.html

--
Andrew Cunningham