setting locale

Martin Duerst wrote:

> What do you mean by 'user agent locale'? Is that the language
> of the menu items and error messages, or anything else?

Sorry about the ambiguity. I was responding to Steve's points and meant
the locale that is used to influence the rendering of pages, applets,
etc.
I don't think it some come from the O/S but from something that the user
can control. It can be set today by making a selection in a form and/or
choices of web pages as you indicated in another mail. That limits a
user's choices to the configurations an author provides. So there might
be an English page with date formats like d/m/y and another with m/d/y
and another with y/m/d. But usually you are lucky to get a page with the
language and forget about date, number etc. formats. However, if this
was controlled by the user (perhaps through a style sheet) then there
would be far fewer combinations an author or publisher need provide.

You suggested in the other mail that we should recommend developers
create locale-insensitive applets. It's good to recommend it, but it is
not always achievable.

> Regards,   Martin.

Making e-Business Work Around the World