Re: when to use language negotiation- author needed

Tex,

I believe that Google is using both content negotiation plus some
method of IP address identification. I know of company that has
commercialized the service, though I'm not sure how Google goes about
doing it.

Here's the company: http://www.verifia.com

On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:40 PM, Tex Texin wrote:

> John,
>
> Good comments.
>
> 1) On deep linking from search engines and elsewhere, I would think
> that
> most of the time the search would result in a page that was in one of
> the languages of the user. I know it is not always true, but I wouldn't
> think using lang. negotiation would be an improvement most of the time
> for a deep link.
>
> But that's a good use case for language selection being available on
> every page and for it not to return to the top of the tree, but a
> reasonable counterpart of the page the language switch is being made
> from.
>
> 2) I don't know the answer to the question on htaccess for changing
> language directories rather than pages.
> I had the same question.
>
> 3) Google must use cookies to remember information from past searches,
> especially your location and things like that. Too many of the searches
> I do show up local companies and reasonable matches, even when I don't
> provide that many keywords. You would think a search for a chinese
> restaurant name would give you places randomly around the world rather
> than American or Massachusetts places being most highly ranked. (Of
> course the dominance of american internet helps there.) I guess I'll
> have to do a few searches, then delete all my cookies to test it.
>

> --
> Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex@XenCraft.com
> Xen Master                          http://www.i18nGuy.com
>
> XenCraft		            http://www.XenCraft.com