RE: Test page renovations

Hopefully the opposite is true.  The actual test file is isolated from
any CSS used for the wrapper and can be picked up as is by anyone
wanting to use it for the CSS or HTML etc test suites.  I'm just
following the advice for test suite development given by the CSS test
suite guidelines.
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/testsuitedocumentation.html

"The navigation page transcludes the test page with an <OBJECT> element,
which references the test file using the data attribute and explicitly
sets the type of the expected data to "text/html". In order to encourage
a user agent to use the entire width of the document, and the remainder
of the document, both the width and height attributes are set to 100%.

"The <OBJECT> element was chosen because it is present in all "current"
versions of HTML, from HTML 4.0 Transitional, to XHTML Basic, to XHTML
1.1. This permits user agents which support any one of these languages
to easily utilize the navigational pages. In addition, the <OBJECT>
element provides an excellent immediate fall back mechanism for user
agents that either happen to not support <OBJECT>, or that have
difficulties transcluding HTML content.

"Inside the <OBJECT> element is a simple Test hyperlink which directly
links to the test file. Thus user agents that do not recognize the
<OBJECT> element and therefore ignore its markup, show the simple
hyperlink instead, thereby providing access to the test file. ....

"Note that the navigation file has no test content whatsoever. This
allows the test file to be updated to fix problems in tests without
having to update navigation files."

Note that the HTML test suite uses the same approach.  As for <object>
support, I don't know but I guess it must be fairly widespread if both
CSS and HTML groups use it.

> The objects are typed as text/html. Might be interesting to
> also type them as xml.

It might indeed, and if we continue to view the guidelines as covering
XHTML 1.1 then we will need to.

> On the scroll bar test I see two scrollbars in IE 6. One in
> the frame the other for the page.

That's correct.  The inside scroll bar is the one you should look at for
the test - perhaps I could word that more clearly.

> It would be nice if instead of test1, test2, there was a
> description of what was being tested or how the tests are
> different. Otherwise, if testn fails, we don't have a clue as
> to what is entailed in that test.

OK

> The tests are nice. Is the technique with <object> supported
> in most browsers now?

See above.

> tex
>

> Richard Ishida wrote:
> >
> > Chaps,
> >
> > (Heads up.)
> >
> > I have spent a good deal of time since Friday lunch time
> studying and
> > updating the tests we had.  You can see the final result
> for the one
> > set I have completed at
> > http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-bidi-blocks.html .
> >
> > I used the CSS templates to rebuild the tests in this fashion, so
> > hopefully CSS and others will be able to pick up these
> tests for their
> > own test suites.  I also spent some time reading about how to write
> > tests
> [http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/testsuitedocumentation.html]
,
> and have made some changes to enable testers to draw conclusions
> quickly (eg. the image for comparison in the bidi tests, green colors
> to come in the :lang tests, etc.).
>
> I'll try to transform some more tests tomorrow (which is not so far
> away, so I'd better stop now).
>
> RI

> Richard Ishida
> W3C