RE: Emphasis mark skipping (i18n-action#49 csswg-drafts#839)

Hi Ken and Robin,

Thanks for your notes, which are wholly unsurprising (and it is understood that your responses are also unofficial). As you can see from the discussion thread, there isn’t a strong expectation that the UTC would do a reclassification here.

> Do you need a formal note from the UTC on the question of the General_Category of those characters?

Only if there is something materially different in that response, otherwise the CSS folks will get the gist of it from this thread.

> I do not know whether this approach is practical for CSS.

CSS doesn’t want to be in the business of making lists of characters and their properties. I think you could read this as a request that *Unicode* make such a list/derived property. I note that there is also this CLDR issue we recently filed (which doesn’t seem like a CLDR problem to me): https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-17044, about a mapping that CSS maintains of small kana to kana and which looks pretty similar to this.

Addison

Addison Phillips

Chair (W3C Internationalization WG)

Internationalization is not a feature.