I18N-ISSUE-432: processing model handling of bidi [WebVTT]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:02:32 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-432: processing model handling of bidi [WebVTT]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: WebVTT

In section 6.2.1 I find the instruction quoted below. This seems to be trying to determine the base direction, but I don't see other elements of implementing BIDI elsewhere in processing, such as using 'direction' to set the meaning of 'start' and 'end' and I don't see any discussion of handling directional runs in presentation (is that on a different level??)

--
Apply the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm's Paragraph Level steps to the concatenation of the values of each WebVTT Text Object in nodes, in a pre-order, depth-first traversal, excluding WebVTT Ruby Text Objects and their descendants, to determine the paragraph embedding level of the first Unicode paragraph of the cue. [BIDI]
Note

Within a cue, paragraph boundaries are only denoted by Type B characters, such as U+000A LINE FEED (LF), U+0085 NEXT LINE (NEL), and U+2029 PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR. (This means each line of the cue is reordered as if it was a separate paragraph.)

If the paragraph embedding level determined in the previous step is even (the paragraph direction is left-to-right), let direction be 'ltr', otherwise, let it be 'rtl'.