RE: Re: rtli and ltri

I understand the history, but if "they" are now amenable to dir="ltri"|"rtli", then they might be amenable to the better  variant bdi="yes"|"no".

Shalom (Regards),  Mati

From: Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin [mailto:aharon@google.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:18 PM
To: Matitiahu Allouche
Cc: Richard Ishida; public-i18n-core@w3.org
Subject: Re: Re: rtli and ltri

The bdi attribute was what we had originally proposed to the HTML WG, but they adamantly refused it in favor of a new element.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Matitiahu Allouche <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com> wrote:

Personally, I don't like dir="ltri" or dir="rtli". This is overloading 2 properties on the same attribute. It may offer some advantage to implementers, but the odd cases mentioned by Aharon show that this is not a good design, IMHO.

If one prefers having the isolation expressed as an attribute, then let us create a specific attribute for it, like bdi="yes"|"no", with default values which could be dependent on the type of element affected.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati