[minutes] i18n telecon, 2011-11-23


Text version:

         Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

23 Nov 2011



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/11/23-i18n-irc


           matial, Addison_Phillips, Richard, stpeter, anne, Norbert,
           kojiishi, David


           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Action Items
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]IRI Progress and Status Report from IETF82
          4. [8]JLReq
          5. [9]Review Felix's Blog Entry
          6. [10]ECMAScript Globalization Progress
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items

Action Items

    <r12a> [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-79

    <trackbot> ACTION-79 Draft a blog post about HTML5 need for
    translate attribute, including why a language attribute can't do it

Info Share

    <r12a> [14]http://w3c-test.org/framework/results/i18n-html5/

      [14] http://w3c-test.org/framework/results/i18n-html5/

    richard: test framework stuff moving along
    ... this test suite is not complete
    ... and it's only one of several test suites I'm planning to put up
    ... need some coding on framework to allow to work without manual



    richard: no one to do that, which means i'm currently dead in the
    water until resources are available
    ... results summary pages
    ... will offer to html5 folks to use in their test suites

IRI Progress and Status Report from IETF82

    peter: had a session at IETF meeting
    ... didn't talk much about work to be done at w3
    ... mostly work on 3987bis and 4395bis
    ... no one complained that W3C would work on iri reference/parsing
    ... if anyone would like to provide feedback, need to get clear on

    richard: help to step back of outline of the documents

    peter: had discussions about spinning up IRI WG
    ... wanted a document about parsing IRIs and URIs
    ... not something we've succeeded in IRI WG
    ... so move to W3C??
    ... other items on IETF's plate
    ... mainly 3987bis
    ... most difficult issues at IETF are:

    peter: protocol vs. presentation element
    ... other issues, minor wording changes
    ... Larry Masinter and Martin Duerst working on that
    ... also have 4396-bis
    ... procedures for registering URI schemes
    ... updating to fit IRIs into that world
    ... and process related issues/descriptions in line with best
    practice and consensus on how it should work
    ... make it easier to register schemes
    ... some split out items
    ... one on bidi processing
    ... one on processing-but-not-parsing
    ... may merge back to 3987bis
    ... hope to finish early next year

    addison: done means go to last call?

    peter: yes. (explains IETF process)

    <anne> [16]http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abarth-url

      [16] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abarth-url

    <anne> is one such document

    <r12a> document about how to properly parse an iri into constituent
    bits (Barth document)

    <anne> abarth actually started from scratch

    <stpeter> [17]http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

      [17] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

    peter: discussion with paul and sam at tpac
    ... want to pull out into separate document and work from there

    <r12a> ... mike smith was going to take the point on this

    <r12a> ... would be referenced by other specs

    addison: just concerned that someone is on receiving end

    peter: mike stepped up, we/html needs to figure out

    richard: mike also had some questions

    addison: do you see core spec dependent on parsing spec?

    peter: no, but needs to coordinate, pay attention to same issues

    anne: needs to be a REC
    ... unclear why split out from IRI?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: invite mike or set up supplementary call
    to discuss progress on IRI [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-82 - Invite mike and martin or set up
    supplementary call to discuss progress on IRI [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2011-11-30].

    richard: ask if a better day/time


    richard: heads up
    ... next tuesday will publish new working draft of JLReq
    ... task force is keen to press ahead
    ... not clear if WG needs to approve

    <scribe> Chair: any objections to publishing this document?

    <r12a> [19]http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-jlreq-20111129/Overview.html

      [19] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-jlreq-20111129/Overview.html

    richard: plan is to publish so we have dated version of WD, but
    short name will take you to the old version
    ... changes are there is a part 4

    koji: agree to publish

    mati: don't disagree

    norbert: no objections to publishing a WD

    <scribe> chair: WG approves publication

Review Felix's Blog Entry



    richard: read and think it is pitched incorrectly
    ... what we really need is something that summarizes pros/cons in
    bugzilla thread
    ... so we can get MS and Google people on same page

    norbert: can't tell what @translate would do/not do
    ... from article

    addison: need examples

    richard: first part of second para... this is not a problem of
    translation agenices (etc.)
    ... is a problem for them, but needs to be solved before it gets to

    norbert: they do care, but cannot fix it

    richard: obtained a contact at google about this topic

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: talk to felix about fixing draft of blog
    article on 'translate' attribute [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-83 - Talk to felix about fixing draft of
    blog article on 'translate' attribute [on Richard Ishida - due

ECMAScript Globalization Progress

    norbert: lot going on last week
    ... had meeting of i18n ad hoc to work on standard
    ... discussion was focused on making things less specified
    ... allowed for alternative algorithm for "best fit"
    ... went to TC39 next day
    ... and they feel things are too loosely specified
    ... and they want same behaviro for a given locale
    ... lots of discussion
    ... in particular setting global locale
    ... but there are problems with that
    ... another person wants pattern or skeleton instead of options
    ... still working on es-discuss to try and resolve


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: invite mike or set up supplementary call to
    discuss progress on IRI [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: talk to felix about fixing draft of blog
    article on 'translate' attribute [recorded in

    [End of minutes]
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)


Received on Wednesday, 23 November 2011 17:53:39 UTC