Re: IRIs - proposed resolution

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:01:41AM -0400, Jeff Young wrote:
>      *Linked Data*.  "Linked Data" refers to data published in accordance with
>      principles [2] designed to facilitate linkages among datasets, element
>      sets, and value vocabularies.  Linked Data uses (Web) Uniform Resource
>      Identifiers (URIs) [3] and Internationalized Resource Identifiers
>      (IRIs) [4] -- Web addresses [5] that
>      support the non-Latin scripts of Unicode [6] -- as globally unique

Part of the problemw with the reference to "non-Latin scripts", as I understood
it, had to do with the fact that Unicode supports not just non-Latin scripts,
but Latin scripts beyond just US-ASCII.  But if we cannot assume that the
readers of the report will know what Unicode is and means -- opinions are
divided on this point -- I agree that we need a few words (along the lines of
"support the non-Latin scripts") to characterize Unicode.

>      identifiers for any kind of
>      resources. This is analogous to the library world's identifiers for
>      authority
>      control -- and provides data using standards such as the Resource
>      Description Framework (RDF) [7].

Putting "identifiers for authority control" and "RDF" in one sentence seems
slightly confusing, but it suggests a way the reference to RDF might be
explicitly connected to the notion of "defining relationships among things":

    Linked Data. "Linked Data" refers to data published in accordance with
    principles designed to facilitate linkages among datasets, element sets,
    and value vocabularies. Linked Data uses Uniform Resource Identifiers
    (URIs) as globally unique identifiers for any kind of resource --
 -> analogously to how identifiers are used for authority control in
 -> traditional librarianship.  In Linked Data, URIs may be Internationalized
 -> Resource Identifiers (IRIs) -- Web addresses that use the extended set of
 -> natural-language scripts supported by Unicode. Linked Data is expressed
 -> using standards such as the Resource Description Framework (RDF), which
 -> specifies relationships between things -- relationships that can be used for
 -> navigating between, or integrating, information from multiple sources.

Tom

--
Tom Baker <tom@tombaker.org>