Re: Unicode normalization in CSS

Le 11/04/11 16:11, Leif Halvard Silli a écrit :

> There are "normal" issues with non-canonical UNICODE on a Mac. You can
> find some info about my own troubles with this in a thread I started at
> www-international. [1]
>
> If CSS needs a fix, then IRIs/URLs/#fragment-IRIs need a fix too. In
> fact, IRIs are in a much deeper need for a fix than CSS since CSS
> typically happens inside an editor, while links need to point to those
> pesky non-canonicalized file names.
>
> My conclusion w.r.t. URLs, is that there is much need for advice. And
> the advice should be split in two: [2]
>   EITHER an author can gather info about which of "his/her" characters
> that are affected by non-canonical issues. For example, in Norwegian,
> with our ÆØÅæøå letters, only the 'åÅ' is affected. Likewise, in
> Russian, only a pair of letters are affected.
>   OR, to avoid the trouble, the author can get hold of tools that take
> care of the normalization. In my case, I was finally able to find a FTP
> application (Yummy FTP) which took care of the Unicode normalization
> for me (I even managed to get the Yummy author to fix a bug). (But I do
> wonder if Yummy FTP is the only Mac FTP programme that takes care of
> this ...)
>
> Ultimately, Apple needs to do (more) to fix the issue.

Forgive me if I am a bit too harsh here, but I am not sure your
answer helps a lot, Leif... We are not Apple, we're only the CSS WG
and we try to understand what we should do here if we should do
something. Reading the whole thread about unicode normalization in
www-style, I am under the impression that the only conclusion is
"this is a real and painful problem, and the experts of this problem
clearly tell us CSS alone cannot solve it". Correct ?

</Daniel>
--
W3C CSS WG, Co-chairman