RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals

Hello Leif,

I was told that in your change proposal you will propose that the lang
attribute supports multiple language values.  Although we haven't discussed
it for this particular topic, I'm certain that the i18n WG will strongly
oppose such a suggestion, based on a long history of working with and
educating about the language attributes.  The main reason for this is that
the language attribute defines the language of a range of text for
text-processing purposes, which requires  information about a single
language - use of multiple language values makes no sense for that.  Another
reason is that for consistency similar changes would have to be made for
xml:lang - and the likelihood of that happening in the near timeframe is
essentially zero.

For more information about this and the difference between values of
language attributes and those of the HTTP header or the meta
Content-Language element, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-lang/#ri20040808.100519373

Could you please confirm to us whether you were planning to propose the
above, and if so could we please discuss this (and indeed any other
divergences from the proposal made by the i18n WG at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/1086.html) before
you submit your change proposal?

Thanks,
RI