Re: Locale/default encoding table

Larry Masinter On 09-10-14 21.22:

> I think the latest editor's draft does a good job of
> describing the tables for default encoding as
> suggestions rather than normative requirements.

Yes, it uses the word "suggest".

> I think this is appropriate; there is no normative
> requirement to support any charset other than UTF8
> and ISO-8859-1/Win-1252, so normatively requiring
> a more complex auto-detection of charsets not
> supported doesn't make a lot of sense.

I thought the Addison and Mark's proposed required UTF-8
auto-detection would only check for UTF-8?

> The idea that you might reasonably guess the
> charset of retrieved HTML by looking at the locale
> of the browser doing the guessing, well, it is
> a very weak and not particularly accurate heuristic.

In my mother tongue, the word for "default" very often seems to be
"automatic". However, a "default" is what we - automatically - get
when the automatics either are lacking  or has been tried.

Ian's algorithm just tells when in the detection process it's time
to give up  - to default. I think no one proposed that UAs should
be required to do any guessing w.r.t. legacy encoding. Instead, we
talked about which encoding default a browser for a particular
locale should ship with and how accurate Ian's table is.

A required UTF-8 auto-detection would however allow us to separate
the concerns better when deciding for the default encoding. If it
is reliable, then it could probably perhaps allow us to say - as
Henri suggested - no locale (with legacy encodings) should use
UTF-8 as the encoding default.

> And in situations where different browsers will have
> different configuration information, the "advantage"
> that multiple browsers behave similarly isn't very
> strong anyway.

But if we have a table, it should be as correct as possible. And
not simply "suggest" Win1251 for "all other locales" just like
that. That is not simply a suggestion, but a postulate.

> Larry

Leif