Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Ian's table [1] right now says that "all other locales" should default
> to Windows 1252. That would include localizations for those languages
> you have in mind here also.
>
> [1]
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#determining-the-character-encoding

I'd be inclined to look at system locale as well as UI locale, and what
encodings are supported by the application and OS. And for many
languages added to windows since win2000, the languages are only
supported by Unicode, no new code pages have been defined. Similarly on
other platforms.

For some languages it may make sense to have a fall back encoding as a
legacy encoding, where an appropriate legacy encoding is supported. But
the reality is that web browsers don't support legacy encodings for many
African, Central Asian, South Asian and South East Asian languages, and
since the encoding support isn't there, the logical fall back encoding
is UTF-8.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Fax: +61-3-9639-2175

Email: andrewc@vicnet.net.au
Alt email: lang.support@gmail.com