Re: I18n Core telecon minutes: 2008-09-03

Felix Sasaki wrote:

> ... are at http://www.w3.org/2008/09/03-core-minutes.html and below as
> text.
>

>   Richard: CSS f2f face-2-face
>   ... doing some font testing
>   ... battle between various font people
>   ... looking into various browser support for fonts with complex
>   scripts

Richard a couple of thoughts re browser support for complex scripts, in
terms of IE for Windows, some issues with setting default fonts. The UI
used for selecting and changing default fonts for each script populates
the  font selection menus using mlang.dll

For Tibetan and Myanmar scripts there are bugs in mlang.dll so IE can't
recognise Tibetan and Myanmar script fonts as supporting Tibetan and
Myanmar.

Additionally there would be quite a few scripts added to Unicode since
mlang.dll was written, those scripts would also not be supported by
mlang.dll and would likewise be unable to be selected by IE's font
selection UI.

For Tibetan and Myanmar, the way around it through editing the registry
settings.

AS to whether this would work for other missing scripts, i don't know.
The question would be how to identify the appropriate registry settings
to edit.

Michael Kaplan in his blog has a useful post on the issue.

The post is

The importance of Tagalog to Burmese, aka "Of course I'd lie to you, I'm
a font!"
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008/04/18/8403631.aspx

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Fax: +61-3-9639-2175

Email: andrewc@vicnet.net.au
Alt email: lang.support@gmail.com