RE: [WCAG2 TECHS] i18n comment 1: H34 example source direction

Unfortunately, there are still some significant problems with this
technique.

[1] "Unicode right-to-left marks and left-to-right marks can be entered
directly or by means of entities. The character entities for these markers
are"

It would be better to say 'character entity' than 'entity' in the first
sentence.  Also character entities and numeric character references are
different things, so I suggest you say

"Unicode right-to-left marks and left-to-right marks can be entered directly
or by means of character entities or numeric character references, as shown
here"

(Note also that the Character Model for the WWW recommends the use of hex
NCRs, though I'm not going to insist on that here.)

[2] "Inserting a Unicode right-to-left mark (in this case via the HTML
character entity ‏)"

That's an NCR, not a character entity.  In the example, however, you use
‏ (which *is* a character entity), rather than &#8207.

[3] The shaded example of code is quite confusing, since it suffers from the
very problem you are describing - ie. you haven't used an &rlm! ;-)  The
Arabic runs right to left, but the colon and ‏ are still on the right.
This is a typical problem with trying to represent bidi source text
examples, and it's why I try to avoid them whenever possible.

One way around this is to say "Here is the text *ordered left-to-right in
the sequence you would find in memory or type the text in the editor*" and
apply a <bdo dir="ltr" to the pre element.  That would look better with
Hebrew, since the Arabic will still try to join up.

To make this easier for you, I created the example for you, in Hebrew at
http://www.www.org/International/2007/11/wai-examples.html (cut and paste
the source text).

On the other hand I strongly recommend that you drop the source code
example, and explain things as I have under "Proposed alternative" in the
same file.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead