Move from URIs to IRIs (was: Re: [SMIL3.0] i18n comment 3: Define direction of start and end textAlign based on text direction)

Having seen a series of review comments going by, I just had a look
at the SMIL 3.0 spec, in particular the references section
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/smil-refs.html),
and at the list of I18N comments.

I'm rather surprised that RFC 3986 (URIs) is listed in the
reference section, but not RFC 3987 (IRIs), but that there
is no I18N comment requesting the move from URIs to IRIs.

SMIL 3.0 is a major version, and support of IRIs is almost
trivial once an application is "Unicode inside", which XML
applications and thus SMIL are anyway.

This chance should definitely not be missed. People will more
and more expect IRIs to "just work".

Regards,    Martin.