Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Language identification for child documents

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:09:55 +0100, François Yergeau
<francois@yergeau.com> wrote:
> Bjoern Hoehrmann a écrit :
>> Well, if there is no explicit language information you have to guess.
>
> xml:lang is explicit language information.  The issue is that the CDR
> spec should say that its scope extends to referred-to objects in a
> compound document, just like it deals with events, so that the CDR works
>   just like a CDI.

Wouldn't this break the web and the way people expect _separate_ documents
to work? I actually strongly oppose to this. Advertisements are often in
English, even when linked from some Dutch page. When they don't declare
the language they are written in I rather have my screen reader guess
something based on the fact that the language is not known than to assume
it is Dutch. Also given that the document can be viewed independently and
you might or might not get a different language back would be plain wrong.

What might work is for the CDR document to say that each document SHOULD
declare explicit language information either by some language specific
method or through HTTP or other kinds of metadata.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>