Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Language identification for child documents

On Thursday 2006-02-09 14:25 -0800, François Yergeau wrote:
> The CDR framework seems to go to quite some length to make sure that the
> separate DOMs can communicate and that e.g. events propagate properly
> after externalization.  What we are requesting here is that this also be

Which, for what it's worth, I'm largely opposed to (excluding the
APIs that allow one document to reach another).

Web standards and existing practice have established convention for how
things behave within a single document and how things behave when one
document includes another.  There seems to be demand for the latter
behavior with a mix of markup languages, and I believe the way to
satisfy that demand is to move ahead with mixing of markup languages
within a single document rather than trying to stuff all the behavior
that naturally falls out of the single-document (inclusion) case into
the multi-document (reference) case and dealing with the resulting
disagreements with existing specifications and potential security
problems.

That the working group decided to do compound documents by reference
first and then do compound documents by inclusion second has only
delayed the latter and increased the demand for things that naturally
belong in the latter to be stuffed into the former.

-David