Re: I18n comment: defining letter

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 ishida@w3.org wrote:

> There should be a definition of what constitutes a 'letter'. We propose
> that this should be the first *grapheme cluster* (after any punctuation
> such as you list).
>
> We believe that the specification must, as a minimum, require a letter
> to be defined as a 'default grapheme cluster', as defined by Unicode
> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/#Grapheme_Cluster_Boundaries
> [http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/#Grapheme_Cluster_Boundaries] .
>
> This would mean, for example, that 0065: e LATIN SMALL LETTER E + 0301:
> ́ COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT would be handled appropriately.
>
> The specification should then also state that implementors should
> implement additional rules based on the language of the text where
> necesssary.
>
> This may be particularly important for scripts such as those of south
> asia, where an initial character appears as part of a syllabic group and
> may be preceded on the display by a later character, or where the
> initial character is a ligature.
>
> The i18n WG will make some attempts toinvestigate further the
> applicability of ::first-letter styling to other scripts and report
> back.

The working group discussed this and decided to reject your request. We do
not believe that specifying this in more detail is particularly useful;
the :first-letter rendering is intended to be left largely up to the user
agent, based on per-language rules.

Please let us know if this, as is likely, does not satisfy your request.